Termination of pregnancy (abortion)
Note: All of the following topics can be discussed in detail at the counseling center for pregnancy issues!
You are pregnant and thinking about abortion?
Only you decide whether to have an abortion, no one else.
An abortion is possible in Germany without penalty if you comply with three things:
1. You must seek counseling at a state-approved counseling center. The consultation is free of charge, and you will receive a consultation certificate subsequently. You must present this to the doctor’s office where the abortion is performed.
2. Three days must elapse between the consultation and the abortion. 3. The pregnancy may be terminated only until the end of the 12th week (corresponding to 14 weeks after the first day of the last period).
A voluntary abortion must be paid for by yourself. If your income is below a certain limit or you receive social benefits, you can apply for cost coverage. The respective federal state in which you live is responsible. You can obtain the cost absorption certificate from any statutory health insurance fund. You must contact a statutory health insurance fund of your choice even if you are privately insured. The cost absorption certificate must be presented before the abortion in the practice where the abortion is performed. There are two methods for abortion.
Abortion with the help of medication:
Abortion with the help of medication is possible until the 7th week after fertilization (9th week after the first day of the last period). For this, you need to come to the practice at least twice, sometimes three times. At the first appointment, you will be given a medication that will end the pregnancy, and at the second appointment, you will be given medication that will cause the abortion bleeding.
Abortion by surgery:
The surgery can be performed on an outpatient basis with general anesthesia or with local anesthesia. During anesthesia, the cervix is carefully stretched with a metal rod, and the embryo is removed from the uterus with a suction device. The procedure takes about ten minutes. You will need to rest in the practice for a few hours afterwards before you can go home with an escort.
Both methods have advantages and disadvantages and neither method is in general equally suitable for all women. Please consult with your doctor before deciding on a method.
Bleeding and abdominal pain after an abortion are normal. Therefore, take it easy for a few days. In case of heavy bleeding or pain as well as fever, please contact your doctor.
A new cycle begins immediately after the abortion, and you can get pregnant again. Appropriate contraception is therefore very important.
Free contraceptives in the city and district of Munich
1. Up to the age of 21, you can get contraceptives (except condoms) free of charge with a prescription from your doctor.
2. From the age of 22, the city of Munich and the district of Munich cover the cost of contraceptives in certain cases.
To do so, you must meet one of the following requirements:
You are getting
- Citizens’ income (in accordance of Book II of the Social Code (SGB II))
- Assistance for subsistence or basic security in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity (SGB XII)
- Benefits under the Asylum Seekers’ Benefits Act
- Housing benefit or child supplement
- have only a low income
- are currently doing a voluntary social or ecological year
- are active in the Federal Volunteer Service.
In this case, you can then apply at the Social Citizenship Center or the District Office, depending on where you live.
If the cost is less than €100, you will be reimbursed for the contraceptive upon presentation of the purchase receipt.
If the cost is more than 100 €, you must apply in advance (!). To do this, please submit a cost estimate from the doctor for the contraceptive.
The pregnancy counseling centers will be happy to answer your questions about this!